About the Opportunity
If you’re looking to join a firm that provides big firm solutions to privately-owned clients, Rise is the place. Staff here enjoy working with wonderful clients in a variety of industries, skilled and experienced colleagues, an open-door policy with partners, and excellent opportunities for growth and advancement for high performers.
About the Role
The Manager, Accounting, oversees engagements such that they finish on time, on budget, meeting the firm’s high-quality standards, resulting in highly satisfied clients. The Manager is responsible for communicating and collaborating with the client and internal engagement team to ensure that agreed upon services are delivered as agreed upon. S/he contributes to the training of staff to ensure consistently high skill levels in the department. S/he identifies internal sales opportunities with existing clients and identifies prospects through relationships with external partners.
- An undergraduate university degree
- A CPA designation
- Familiarity with the issues and challenges faced by small-to-medium sized businesses
- Public practice experience in conducting assurance and non-assurance engagements of privately held and not-for-profit entities (minimum four years)
- Experience reviewing financial statements and Canadian corporate, personal and trust tax filings
- Strong computer skills and understanding of IT tools and systems
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong technical skills in accounting standards for private enterprise (“ASPE”) and Canadian auditing standards (“CAS”)
- Set project hour budgets for engagements and monitor progress against the budget on an ongoing basis. “Own” the project (i.e. be ultimately accountable for hitting budget and timeframe expectations.)
- Plan project activities and set expectations with all engagement team members.
- Direct staff on engagement priorities.
- Monitor progress on projects and take action if not in accordance with expectations.
- Monitor performance of staff against set engagement expectations (budget, timeframe, quality, etc.) and provide feedback as required.
- Confirm that Rise quality standards are being met at all times.
- Coordinate with client service providers as required (e.g. bankers, lawyers, bookkeepers, insurance brokers, etc.)
- Review files to ensure accuracy and completeness and provide feedback to staff as required.
- Manage engagements to effectively balance efficiency and accuracy.
- Participate in client meetings dealing with relevant issues.
- Monitor client satisfaction with services and address any issues.
- Communicate with clients in order to properly complete client engagements.
- Professionally and respectfully negotiate/communicate engagement expectations to client and update client as expectations change over the course of the engagement.
- Conduct effective needs assessment conversations with clients.
- Confirm a high level of client satisfaction with all Rise services and address any issues that are identified.
- Conduct research as required for client’s needs and to add to the firm’s body of knowledge.
- Prepare invoices and WIP analysis as required.
- Suggest improvements to the firm’s systems and processes and participate in any improvement initiatives as assigned.
- Participate, develop and administer formal training to accounting employees.
- Actively prepare for and participate in networking events to increase awareness of the Rise brand.
- On an ongoing basis, identify opportunities for additional Rise services with existing clients.
We’re looking for people who:
- Are driven to learn and problem solve as our staff are faced with challenging situations on a daily basis,
- Are committed to meeting deadlines and providing the highest quality customer service possible, and
- Bring a positive energy to the team.